Useful Contacts

The NHS 111 service is available 24 hours per day, 365 days of the year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.

They are there to help you when:

- You need medical help fast, but it's NOT a 999 emergency

- You don't know who to call for medical help

- You think you need to go to A&E or another NHS urgent care service.

- You require health information or reassurance about what to do next.

GP assistance for all surgeries in this area, outside of normal working hours is provided by Hampshire Doctors On Call.

If you have a life threatening medical emergency please dial 999

For urgent advice or appointments outside of surgery hours, please call 111



St Mary's Hospital and Queen Alexandra Hospital:

023 9228 6000

Spire Portsmouth Hospital Havant:

023 9245 6172

Social Services:

Local Adult & Child Services: 0845 603 5630

NHS Website:

Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG):

South Eastern Hampshire CCG

Building 003, Commissioning House

Fort Southwick

James Callaghan Drive



PO17 6AR

Telephone Number: 023 9228 2063

Citizens Advice Bureau:

For information on how to find a GP Practice.

Patients Association:

Telephone 0845 608 4455

With information about how to get the most out of your consultation.

The Princess Royal Trust For Carers:

Telephone 0844 800 4361

Information for carers

Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Agency:

Telephone 020 3080 6000

For information about the medicines you are being prescribed.

Ask About Medicines:

How to find out more about medicines.

NHS Business Service Authority:

Telephone 0845 850 0030 

Prescription Pre-payment Certificates.

Patient UK:

Choices when referred to a specialist.

Care Quality Commission:

Telephone 03000 616161

Share your experiences and views about the NHS in England.

General Medical Council:

Telephone 0161 923 6602

How to make a complaint about a Doctor.

Nursing and Midwifery Council:

Telephone 020 7333 9333

How to make a complaint about a nurse or midwife.

Patient and Liasion Advisory Service:

How PALS can help you with making a complaint.

British Medical Association:

Patients rights to accessing records, and the fees charged.

NHS Care Records Service:

Telephone 0300 123 3020

The new Summary Care Records initiative in England.


How to organise a lasting Power of Attorney in England and Wales via the office of the Public Guardian.

National Association for Patient Participation:

Telephone 01932 242350

Patient Participation Groups.